- Be prepared for coming earthquakes.
- Learn how to be prepared for earthquakes.
- Learn what should we do before earthquakes occur.
- Learn what we should we do at the time of earthquakes.
- Learn what should we do after an earthquake
Before an Earthquake
- Construct earthquake resistant buildings and other structures.
- Retrofit old houses .
- If possible, avoid areas that are sensitive to earthquakes , where earthquake waves get amplified (Kathmandu and Terai like places)
- Identify safe places in your house, office and outside.
- Prepare first aid kit, torch, radio, food and water for at least three-four days.
- Educate students on how to protect ourselves at the time of earthquake.
- Put important documents (passport, citizenship, insurance) in safe place.
At the time of an Earthquake
- Don’t get panic. Panic kills you rather than the earthquake itself.
- Take shelter (if it is close) under strong furniture (tables, beds) close to walls under door frame.
- Keep away from HT lines of electricity.
- Keep away from windows.
- Keep away from high rise buildings.
- Keep away from tall structures.
- Stop your vehicle if you are on drive.
- If you are walking, stop now!!
- Keep away from very congested places like Ason in Kathmandu.
- Be prepared for aftershocks
- Stop gas, electricity supply.
- Know the condition of your family and then go to safe places outside.
- Don’t use telephone (rescue team may want to use it)
- Rescue your family members first then your neighbors.
- If you are trapped, believe and wait rescue teams will come to rescue you.